Aired: April 16th, 2002
Written by: Daniel Palladino
Directed by: Jamie Babbit
Milo Ventimiglia – Jess Mariano
Liz Torres – Miss Patty
Michael Winters – Taylor Doose
Jackson Douglas – Jackson Belleville
Sean Gunn – Kirk
Sally Struthers – Babette Dell
Steve Eastin – Sy
Dion Anderson – Burt
Places in this Episode:
Stars Hollow Cemetery
Summary: When Luke’s uncle passes away, Luke tries to plan the funeral, out of respect for his dad’s wishes. Unfortunately, he is met with the absence and lack of support from his family and the people of Stars Hollow. Rory and Lorelai step in and help as much as they are able, however. As a bit of comedic relief — the previous wannabe troubadour opens a produce stand across from Doose’s and Emily begins planning Sookie’s wedding.
Smile in a Cup for this Episode — Sometimes the best way we can love our people is to put aside our own differences to honor the people they deeply care about.
Cups of Coffee in this episode: 7
References to Literature, Movies, or Pop Culture – Jerry Lewis and the Diner Guy, Mrs. Folger, Juan Valdez, I Dream of Jeannie, David and Lisa, Celine Dion, Steven Spielberg, Dick Nixon, Van Halen, THe Money Pitt, Library of Alexandria, Colossus of Rhodes, Pop Rocks, Neiman Marcus, Rapenzel, Charlie Rose, Lady Godiva, Toto, John Unitas, Lou Gehrig, Joe Dimaggio, Willi Mays, King Tut, Romanovs
Noteworthy Lorelai-Luke Moments:
- Lorelai saw Luke’s needs and immediately jumped in to help him.
- Luke called Lorelai to help him close Louie’s casket lid. She is his person. The one who he thinks of to ask for help and to share his emotions with.
- Lorelai is the only person at Louie’s funeral with Luke.
Observations & Questions:
- “Your phone message is annoying.” Emily ; Girl, your 50 million messages are running a close race.
- “[Lorelai’s] the stablest person I know.” – Sookie
“That’s very sad.” – Emily
- “Dropped some eggs- hazard of the business.” HAHA. Luke.
- Poor Luke is in over his head planning the funeral for his uncle and trying to work in the diner by himself.
- Yes, Rory! Challenge Jess to do better and go help Luke! She always looks at Jess for his fullest potential rather than his harsh exterior.
- Ooo town troubadour guy has officially rolled in to compete with another Stars Hollow local.
- Emily and Sookie went 0 to 100 reeeallll quick. Lorelai is immediately trying to pump the breaks.
- I love the scene with Lorelai creating diner names for the meals. “Adam and Eve on a raft and wreck ‘em! That’s real live diner talk, see? The wreck ‘em is the scrambled part.” This is so typical of her.
- Poor, sweet Luke. He worked so hard to fulfill this desire of his dad, for everyone to bail.
- Jackson HAHA “I’m a miserable man. Remember that sweet, simple, affordable little wedding Sookie and I agreed on with minimal disagreement? No disagreement, in fact, perhaps the first time in history of wedding planning that a couple agreed 100% on everything?.. Gone. Ancient History. It’s the Library of Alexandria, it’s the Colossus of Roads, it’s Pop Rocks, it’s over, and do you know why? … Look. They’re measuring the town.”
- Rory hunted down Jess again!
- Poor Luke, the reenactors speak so negatively about his Uncle Louie. “We threw a big party when he left town!”
- “A defensive hothead, just like Louie!” – Taylor ; Luke begins to internalize and realize he is becoming similar to the negative qualities of his Uncle.
- Emily calls out Lorellai’s unknown feelings for Luke. “It’s obvious, Lorelai. You’re with him constantly. You bring up his name constantly. The moment he calls, you run to his side.”
Maybe Emily knows Lorelai better than they think.
- Hahaha Luke’s commentary for Louie’s funeral. He is so cynical.
- Lorelai recalls all of the sweet things Luke has done to remind him why he is not like Louie!
- Yay! The reenactors have put aside their differences and decided to play at Louie’s funeral. How extremely fitting that it was awkward and quirky.
- I cry every time Luke and Lorelai walk into the Diner and everyone has set up a Wake to honor Luke in his loss.
- “I never trick or treated again.” I LOVE that the kid that Louie heckled was Kirk.
The scene where the camera pans back from Luke’s and everyone is gathered around sharing stories of Louie is such a golden shot. This is Stars Hollow.