Aired: April 23rd, 2002
Written by: Kevin Dowling
Directed by: Linda Loiselle Guzik
Special Appearance: Edward Herrmann – Richard Gilmore
Liza Weil – Paris Geller
Jared Padalecki – Dean Forester
Dakin Matthews – Hanlin Charleston
Shelly Cole – Madeline Lynn
Teal Redmann – Louise Grant
Adam Wylie – Brad Langford
Janet Hubert – Gisele Gerard
Places in this Episode:
Emily and Richard’s House
Summary: Richard helps Rory’s group from Chilton for the Business Fair. While digging up this lost passion, he decides that retirement is not as satisfying to him. In the meantime, Dean grows increasingly self conscious of his relationship with Rory, and Michel’s mom visits town.
Smile in a Cup for this Episode — Do not let the sting of rejection prevent you from purusing the things that make your soul feel alive.
Cups of Coffee in this episode: 1
References to Literature, Movies, or Pop Culture – Godot, Cezanne, Mark Twain, Dr. Doolittle, Pigeon Sisters, Bobby Fischer, Motley Crue, Ozzy Osbourne, David Letterman, Ivan Boesky, The Untouchables, Teen, Young Miss, Seventeen, Spin, Rolling Stone, Jane, Posh Spice, David Beckham, Buster Keaton, Who’s the Boss?
Observations & Questions:
- “Luke’s Special Omelet.” — Luke has a new special! Rory says that he’s had the same special since she was born, but Rory didn’t know Luke in the early years of her life. Is she using hyperbole or is this an error in the writing?
- Rory automatically noticed that the sign was in Jess’ writing, and Lorelai is skeptical.
- Brad is back at Chilton to face his “fears” AKA Paris. “Hey, Brad. Your festive interjections are a real kick in the pants, but we’re low on time so can it.”
- The only time Sookie will abandon her meal preparations is when her wedding invites come in. “I’m gonna choke somebody by the neck until brains ooze out of their ears…Who’s Suzy St. James?! I am so not a Suzy.”
- “You have a better chance of getting them to help you if you don’t get all hysterical.” -Lorelai
*Sookie proceeds in screaming that the invite company is ruining her life.
- I think the fact that Lorelai thought of Richard for Rory’s project shows that she actually knows her father really well.
- Yes, Emily! Spur him on to take initiative of his life and to make it as he wishes! She does use Rory and manipulation, but hey– the intention is what counts here.
- Lane ‘s facial expressions during Rory and Dean’s awkward conversation about homework and the softball game are so good. She represents how we all are feeling during that scene.
- Of course Paris has a proposal created to share with the group. Richard is impressed with her as soon as she passes these out.
“Because I know one thing about the modern teenager.” – Paris
“ And what’s that?” -Richard
“That you can get them to buy anything as long as it comes in a leopard print.” – Paris
“True.” – Louise
“Very true.” – Madeline
- “The same person who called so many times I heard the machine sigh.” In an effort not to lose Rory, Dean gets extremely clingy.
- Richard is so cute! He is excited to host the group at his house for a business meeting.
- Weird– isn’t the answering machine usually on the desk near the foyer?
- “Nothing seems to be enough. Nothing seems to be normal.” Rory is beginning to realize the shift in her and Dean’s relationship. She does not realize her role and her feelings for Jess in that scenario, though.
- Paris has basically usurped Rory’s role as leader of the group.
- “Emily, we’re in the middle of a business meeting.” Yay! Richard is back in the swing of things. How hilarious that he is treating these students like business men and women.
- Oh my word. Dean is washing Rory’s car. I do feel so bad for him. He wants her to love him so badly.
- Lorelai does such a fantastic job at caring for Dean. She respects Rory and her privacy, but also cares for Dean’s heart.
- “Sometimes giving people a little bit of space is the best thing you can do.” – Lorelai
- Lorelai has really thrown a wrench in Michel and his mother’s relationship.
- Richard’s pain at being replaced and pushed out at work is brought back up in feeling like their hard work in the contest was unnoticed.
- Lorelai and Rory are wearing coordinating red.
- “Oh Rory, you’re here. Wonderful!” – Richard is in a fabulous mood. His participation in the business project has spurred on his desire to start his own business!
- Lorelai is practically begging Rory to spend time with Dean, and poor fella. He is just waiting on the porch so defeated.
- “She likes Jess, doesn’t she?”