Aired: November 13, 2001
Written by: Joan Binder Weiss
Directed by: Dennis Erdman
Dakin Matthews – Hanlin Charleston
Sean Gunn – Kirk
Adliah Barnes – Mrs. Burdiness
Brenda Strong – Eva
Shannon Cochran – Meena
Emily Bergl – Francine Jarvis
Places in this Episode:
Richard and Emily’s
Summary: After Headmaster Charleston and the counselor challenge Rory and Lorelai to become more socially involved at Chilton, Lorelai joins the Booster Club, and Rory is invited into the Puff’s Secret Society.
Smile in a Cup for this Episode — Stand up for your passions and do not be afraid to set boundaries. You, and those who love you, are the only ones who truly understand what is best for you.
Cups of Coffee in this episode: 5
References to Literature, Movies, or Pop Culture – Bary Manilow, Bryan Adams, Mount Pilot, Spice Girls, Duran Duran, Dido, Olivia Newton-John, Macarena, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Faulkner, Gore Vidal, Eudora Welty, Fat Albert, Matrix, Coming Home, Cosa Nostra, Sandra Day O’ Connor, Kate Moss, Leonardo DiCaprio, Snow White, Mariah Carey, Nancy Reagan, Disney, Anne Sexton, Gypsy, The Hunchback of Notre-Dame
Noteworthy Lorelai-Luke Moments:
- “I like it when you’re stressed.” – Luke
- Lorelai seems protective and possessive of Luke with Ava.
- Luke smiling and watching Lorelai on the runway. Precious.
- “I like the new look. It was very high-class, substitute teacher.” Luke
- Lorelai asked Luke about Ava and told him it would be weird if he started dating her. Luke’s face — he is starting to put together that she is jealous, and he LOVES it, but masks it in responding defensively.
Observations & Questions:
- Anyone else pack multiple books for different moods and locations? I am mostly guilty of packing books for the time of day or for the car vs, on the beach, etc.
- “ I’m not speaking to Carol… she ate my low fat cheese.” – Michel HAHA he is so easily angered.
- “That’s okay. I’m easily startled.” – Rory … Me too, sister.
- Why can’t Rory just use her lunch time to refresh herself before the rest of her day? Any time spent in her classes, and the counselor and headmaster would see that she is capable of socializing and that she shows maturity in areas like leading, empathizing, working with teams, solving conflict, etc.
- Kirk is now a mechanic.
- “I carried a duffle bag and ate lunch by myself my entire school career, and I turned out just fine.” – Kirk …(crickets)
- Paris is so perplexed that Rory is sitting with the Chilton Puffs. Do some private schools really have sororities or secret societies?
- Emily has a new maid! Why did she tell the girls to go to the patio but then fuss at them for being at the patio instead of at the dinner table?
- Yay! Lorelai hit it off with the Booster Club. That makes me so happy for her.
- “Hmm my mom’s a model. Maybe you’ll get to date Leonardo Dicaprio now… Lorelai Gilmore. Nope, doesn’t sound model-y enough. You need something that stands out more. How about Waffle? We could call you Waffle and say you’re from Belgium.” -Rory
- Lorelai is such a boss lady! Look at the way she is managing all the things in the Inn!
- “Luke. I like Luke. Oh, he’s adorable. And he looks strong. Is he strong?” – Ava
- I LOVE that Loreali and Emily are wearing matching outfits. How stinkin cute and hilarious.
- What other song to listen to during a runway walk than “Girls Wanna Have Fun”?
- Emily is WORKING that runway. She was so negative about participating and then she just busts out with all that energy!
- I love that Lorelai and Emily are beginning to bond as their worlds cross paths… but Emily why did you have to make that snarky comment about her running away.
- Where is the quilt that hangs above the stairway?
- If I were Rory, I would sneak away to Lane’s for the night.
- “Mom, my kidnappers are here.” -Rory
“Okay, have fun!” – Lorelai
- Haha poor Paris. “ So that’s how you look when you’ve just woken up?… nothing in my life is fair. ”
- “And the next thing I know, I’m being pulled out of my bed in the middle of the night and I’m blindfolded and then before I know it, I end up here with the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, reciting poetry and lighting candles, and now I’m gonna be suspended because I was trying to do what you told me? What’s fair about that?” – Rory
Tell him off, Rory!
- “…possibly, we may have been hasty to judge in your case.” – Headmaster Charleston
Yay! The last time Rory had an outburst towards Hanlin, he scolded her. This time he actually listened and changed his mind!
- Rory found a kindred Spirit! Cheers to all the people who can sit quietly together and read.