Aired: November 20, 2001
Written by: Daniel Palladino
Directed by: Michael Katleman
Milo Ventimiglia – Jess Mariano
Liz Torres – Miss Patty
Michael Winters – Taylor Doose
Linda Porter – Fran Westin
Brian Tarantina – Bootsy
Elizabeth Franz – Mia Halloway
Norma Michaels – Mrs. Lanahan
Mike Gandolfi – Andrew
Places in this Episode:
Emily & Richard’s
Summary: Sookie and Lorelai move forward in their plans to start an Inn; however, they are surprised with a visit from Mia, the Independence Inn’s owner. When Lorelai opens up about their plans to open their own Inn, Mia tells her she now feels ready to sell the Inn. Lorelai is surprised at how hurt she feels. In the meantime, the town begins to team up on Luke about getting Jess out of Stars Hollow. Rory tells Jess off, and he ends the episode with a subtle act of kindness to Luke.
Smile in a Cup for this Episode — Sometimes to move into our God designed plans, we have to say painful goodbyes. Its in letting go that our hands will be open to receive His goodness.
Cups of Coffee in this episode: 11
References to Literature, Movies, or Pop Culture – Billy Idol, Van Gogh, Jefferson, Monticello, Paul Revere, The Money Pit, Donald Trump, Keith Richards, John Birch Society, Star Trek, Siegfried and Roy, Glitter, To Kill a Mockingbird, Holden Caulfield
Noteworthy Lorelai-Luke Moments:
- Luke held to his word to help Lorelai think through the business side of starting her own Inn.
- Rory and Lorelai teased Luke about his Star Trek shirt!
- Lorelai takes up Luke! “Lay off him, because what you’re all doing stinks!”
- “Hey, if I cry will it freak you out?” – Loreali
“Totally.” – Luke
“What if I whimper?” – Lorelai
“How bout you suck it up?” – Luke
Hahaha I love their banter. Luke is really good at encouraging and pushing Lorelai. He never lets her settle for less than best.
“It was our home for so long, mine and Rory’s, and it’s just weird to think that it wouldn’t be there and Mia wouldn’t be there and I wouldn’t be there. “ – Lorelai
“A home home. A memory home. The Inn is where Rory took her first step. It’s where I took my first step. It’s more of a home to me than my parents’ house ever was.” -Lorelai
“Sometimes home is where your hat is.” – Mia
Observations & Questions:
- “I’m glad to hear you say that, Rory, because I thought of a way to cheer him up.” – Emily She knows just what to say to convince Rory into doing whatever she wants her to do.
- LOL the chalk outline paired with the sleuthing music. Such an iconic incident for Taylor to be upset about.
- Why did Fran not use her baking skills in the Dragonfly and keep it up and running? Think of all the yummy baked breakfasts that could have taken place there.
- Fran, honey. “Yea, Francine, eventually we’re all gonna take the same looooonng vacation.” – Sookie She just was not picking up what they were putting down.
- I’m curious as to the population of Stars Hollow if the police can go around and get a head count so quickly to determine if someone had died.
- Mia must be the only person that Michel is kind too… other than his mother.
- Luke looks so excited to see Mia, and he gives her such a huge hug! How precious.
- F-I-N-E… I love this line. I can’t tell you how many times this runs through my head when I get frustrated with what people tell me.
- It is sweet to hear the backstory of Lorelai showing resilience in demanding a job to take care of she and Rory. She began as a maid and has worked her way up to be the Inn’s manager.
- I cannot believe Emily expected Rory to pose with her arm over her head! “I wanted the swan to sit regally beside Rory’s throne.” I mean, she really had built up this painting in her head.
- Poor Luke– he has been ambushed with so much hatred about Jess. He is just trying to help his family.
- Lorelai is excited to pursue her dream of opening an Inn, but she also has to face the reality of saying goodbye to the place she actually has considered her home. The place where she grew up. The place she raised Rory.
- Rory tears into Jess. Tell him, girl! “All he does is stick up for you and all you do is make his life harder. I guess that’s what you have to do when you’re trying to be Holden Caulfield, but I think it stinks. Luke has done a lot for my mom and a lot for me, and I don’t like to see him attacked.” – Rory
- Jess is so mushy over Rory that he immediately takes her angry words and determines to change.
- Dun dun dun dun — Jess and Dean meet for the first time. Don’t think I didn’t catch that little dig Jess throws in there about seeing Rory around. Dean seemed to notice too.
- Emily has a new maid, and she mentions a new cook.
- I adore the picture of Rory reading in Richard’s study!
- Yay! Lorelai is opening up to Emily about all that is upsetting her. Emily’s whole demeanor changes when Mia is mentioned. (foreshadowing)
- “I just wanted to meet the woman who helped raise my daughter.” Emily
Mia is so kind to Emily, but Emily has so much hurt from feeling like Mia stole Lorelai from her. Although I hate that the two have tension, I really feel as if this encounter is necessary in Emily’s healing.
- Enemies of Lorelai and Rory – “People who eat crunchy food with their mouths open, people who dog ear Books, people who spit when they talk…”
- JESS. The old softy. He fixed the toaster. 🙂