Aired: November 16, 2000
Written by: Jenji Kohan (known for creating Weeds and Orange is the New Black)
Directed by: Rodman Flender
Special Appearance: Edward Herrmann – Richard
Liz Torres – Patti
Sally Struthers – Babette
Jared Padalecki – Dean
Ted Rooney – Morey
Emily Kuroda- Mrs. Kim
Michael Winters – Taylor Doosey
Places in this Episode:
Summary: Rory gets her first kiss from Dean, but decides to hide it from Lorelai. Mrs. Kim overhears Rory telling Lane about the kiss and fusses at Lorelai for letting her daughter go around kissing boys in the supermarket. Rory is confronted by Lorelai, who then invites Dean over for a movie night.
Smile in a Cup for this Episode — It is important for relationships to be upfront and honest. To avoid conflict, we should expect the best of the people we love and gracefully listen and offer our presence — even if we do not agree with their choices. We can make our opinion known in a respectful, compassionate manner.
Cups of Coffee in this episode: 3
References to Literature, Movies, or Pop Culture — General Hospital, The Crucible, Willy Wonka, Shaft, Elsa Klensch, Volkswagen, Robert Redford, Barbara Streisand, Ice Castles, The Way We Were, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty
Stars Hollow Event: Autumn Festival
Noteworthy Lorelai-Luke Moments:
Luke shows his tenderness and watchful eye toward Lorelai. She shows her trust and dependence on him .
- Luke notices that Lorelia seems concerned. He then joins her in spying on Dean, but tries to encourage her to let Rory make this decision.
- Lorelai opens up to Luke about her feelings toward Dean and Rory. She also shares that it hurt her that Rory did not tell her about the kiss.
“Who kissed you?” –Mrs. Kim
“The Lord, Mama.” – Lane
“Oh… Okay, then.” – Mrs. Kim
“You’re not gonna kill the bag boy.” – Luke
“Why not?” – Lorelai
“It’s double coupon day. You’ll bring the whole town down.” – Luke
Observations & Questions:
- This is our first appearance of Taylor, and of course he is trying to coerce Luke into decorating for the festival.
- Rory definitely seems more sarcastic and less fidgety… until he kisses her and she darts out of the door (shoplifting!)
- There are a lot of items to cook in that refrigerator! Once again surprised by the food in the house in comparison to all their takeout.
- Lorelai is so hurt by Rory not telling her about the kiss, and Rory is terrified of disappointing her. I can definitely relate to this. I struggle with pleasing people and hate disappointing others.
- I love that the cashier knows the girls are buying these snacks for a movie night. Do you have a go to store for all your favorite movie night necessities?
- Yikes. Rory is so sassy to Lorelai about inviting Dean to watch the movie. I believe this is one of the most angsty moments for Rory.
- They quickly make up and have a special moment where Lorelai gives her advice on clothes, hair, makeup, and talking to boys.
“Dab on some lip gloss… maybe a little mascara, wear your hair down and your attitude high!” – Lorelai
- Sookie randomly pops in to bring “dessert” aka spy on Rory and Dean. We all have that one friend who would do this, and I support it.
- The pizza man is very festive with his pizza Hawaiian shirt. Where can we buy one of those?
- Points for Dean for complimenting Rory’s eating and not making her second guess her habits.
- Dean says, “ I’ve got sisters.” I remember Clara, but does he ever mention another sister?
- Okay, hear me out. Why are they wearing shoes and sitting on the floor? A movie is long! I would kick off my shoes and sit on the couch.
- More points for Dean for grabbing a pillow when he sees Rory readjusting out of discomfort.
- I adore and resonate with Rory bursting in on Lorelai eating popcorn in the kitchen.
“… And I don’t know what I’m doing here. You’re sitting in the kitchen. What kind of chaperone are you?!” – Rory
“I’m not trying to be a chaperone, I’m trying to be a girlfriend.” – Lorelai
“Switch gears, because I’m freaking out here!” – Rory
- Dean has awoken the sass in me with his facial expressions to Lorelai and Rory. He gives the rude, smug look so many times . But I was ALL ABOUT Lorelai telling him like it was.
“Ah, the talk.” -Dean
“How ‘bout I talk, you listen.”
“Sweetheart, the whole town is watching you. That girl in there is beloved around here.” -Lorelai
Get him, Lorelai.
- Rory and Lorelai redeem their conflict and feelings of insecurity and fear by talking about the kiss. Such a fun ending to this episode!