Aired: February 26th, 2002
Written by: Amy Sherman-Palladino
Directed by: Gail Mancuso
Jared Padalecki – Dean
Milo Ventimiglia – Jess Mariano
Liz Torres – Miss Patty
Michael Winter – Taylor Doose
Sean Gunn – Kirk
Rose Abdoo – Gypsy
Brett Paesel – Mary
Places in this Episode:
Stars Hollow Square
Summary: Jess, who is working on cleaning Lorelai’s gutters, finds out Rory is panicked about losing the bracelet Dean made her. When Lorelai is off helping Luke find an apartment, Jess sneaks into Rory’s room and leaves the bracelet.
Smile in a Cup for this Episode — “People are different when you get to know them.” – Rory
If someone has a harsh exterior, it does not mean they are unworthy of loving. Take the time to know them and care for them. Didn’t He love us at our darkest?
Cups of Coffee in this episode: 0
References to Literature, Movies, or Pop Culture – Ida Morgenstern, Rockefeller, Vanity Fair, Spider Man, Hearst Castle, Mel Brooks, The 2000 Year Old Man, Young Frankenstein, Silent Movie, The Shaggs, Inherit the Wind, Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet, The Lord of the Rings, Autumn in New York, Euell Gibbons, Wayne Gretzky, Miami Sound Machine, Yankees and Mets, Attica, Timberland, Franny and Zooey, Elvis, the Beatles, Mary Poppins, Bye Bye Birdie, Mission:Impossible, Santa Clause, It’s a Small World
Noteworthy Lorelai-Luke Moments:
- “Give me the book!” – Luke
“Give me the pancakes!” -Lorelai
I love their flirty exchange here. Luke simply cannot tell Lorelai no. Also, I know she wants pancakes, but I honestly think she subconsciously wants him to be downstairs and a part of her day.
- Lorelai helps Luke look for an apartment.
“Luke, as long as you’re in that apartment, you’re gonna have a single bed. Don’t you want the possibility of more? Come on Luke, it’s time. Make a move, take a shot, entertain the possibility of a non-Unabomber existence. What do you say?”
- “People are different when you get to know them.” – Rory
- “And walk. And walk. Pump your arms and walk. And shoulders back and tookus in. Think about that double chin and walk. And walk. And walk. And tummy’s tight and walk.” – Miss Patty
Observations & Questions:
- Lorelai does have a flair for the dramatic. “See, I had a near death experience today. I almost fell off the roof of my house, trying to clean the rain gutters. So, I have to have pancakes. Please.”
- Oh my word. Luke’s apartment looks crazy. Loreali said, “This is what I imagine the inside of my head looks like.” Honestly, I would imagine the same about her. How else can she pull all of these references out in every day conversation?
- Lorelai says she is going to get a Mel Brooks tattoo.
- I vaguely remember that my brother and I had a little TV like Luke’s when we were younger. I remember watching the Andy Griffith Show on it!
- Rory is quick to call out Lorelai for lying to Luke about “all the people” she has to call back about the rain gutters. “I thought you said you would give Jess a chance.”
- Luke’s temper tantrum is basically how I felt in the process of moving houses. “I can’t stand it. I’m goin crazy. This place is awful. I can’t live like this anymore. I can’t relax. I can’t sleep. I’m having nightmares about being chased around by boxes with arms and they tackle me and pile clothing on top of my face and secure it around my head with packing tape, and I’m just lying there. Choking. While you’re sittin in the corner, laughin putting gel in your hair with a switchblade. “
- I need the barnyard alarm in my life.
- Jess noticed Rory’s hair looked different than he is used to seeing it… and she was awfully anxious of his opinion of it.
- The salt and pepper shakers have moved to the top of the microwave, and other spices now take up the spice rack. Does this mean they are cooking more?
- Okay, let’s contrast how miserable Dean appears to the hours Jess spent book shopping with Rory. Tension is beginning to rise between these two, especially as Dean realizes Rory isn’t wearing her bracelet.
- I am proud of Lorelai for making an effort to share Chinese leftovers with Jess, and I am proud of him for making an effort to eat with her. Rory would be delighted.
- Rory is frantic about losing Dean’s bracelet.
- Of course Taylor owns the apartment building Luke just applied for! They measure the grass! No no. Red flag, Luke. Red flag.
- Jess is really kind in his own way — asking Rory to open up about why she is upset, teasing her, and then encouraging her not to give up. He also asks her if it means anything that she has lost the bracelet!
- Luke is delighted and encouraged that something may be going on between Rory and Jess.
- I LOVE the scene where Luke goes into the apartment and slams the sledgehammer into the wall. I do have to mention, as I did before, this is not how Luke’s apartment was originally set up. Before, it showed Rachel coming out of the bathroom in that position. Now the bathroom is on the opposite side of the apartment.