Aired: February 5th, 2002
Written by: Amy Sherman-Palladino (she seriously writes my favorite episodes)
Directed by: Robert Berlinger
Jared Padalecki – Dean Forester
Milo Ventimiglia – Jess Mariano
Liz Torres- Miss Patty
Emily Kuroda – Mrs. Kim
Michael Winters – Taylor Doose
Jackson Douglas – Jackson Belleville
Sean Gunn- Kirk
Places in this Episode:
Stars Hollow Square
The Bridge in Stars Hollow
Emily and Richard’s House
Summary: Stars Hollow is hosting the Stars Hollow Bid-On-A-Basket Fundraiser. Jess outbids Dean to win Rory’s basket, and the two end up ordering pizza and shopping for books. Lorelai drags Luke out of the diner to bid on her basket, out of a fear for the men Patty has picked out for her. As the episode draws to a close, Dean and Lorelai grow increasingly nervous about Jess and Rory’s growing friendship.
Smile in a Cup for this Episode — Sometimes the most loving thing you can do for someone is speak in truth, but give them freedom to move forward with their own choices. If they make the wrong choice, we can still be here, lovingly waiting to encourage and spur them on as they make better choices. If they make the right choice, we can still be here, rejoicing with them.
Cups of Coffee in this episode: 2
References to Literature, Movies, or Pop Culture – William Holden, Sunset Boulevard, Sabrina, Stalag 17, and Andy Hardy, From Here to Eternity, Ling-Ling Pandas, Ghostbusters, Lenny Bruce, Edgar Bergen, Charlie McCarthy, John Cleese, Dungeons and Dragons, Freud, The Fountainhead, Ayn Rand, Ernest Hemingway, The Children’s Hour, Julia, Jane Fonda, Salem, Sylvester Stallone, Boy in the Plastic Bubble
Stars Hollow Event: Stars Hollow Bid-On-A-Basket Fundraiser
Noteworthy Lorelai-Luke Moments:
- Lorelai darts into Luke’s and demands he bid on her basket.
- Of course, he runs out to buy her basket as soon as she says “… only you can save me!”
- Luke guessed exactly what Lorelai would pack in her basket!!
- “This is nice, huh?Admit it!” – Lorelai
- “I mean, before you knew Patty was gonna put you on The Dating Game, you did pack this disgusting lunch and bring it out here, so who did you want to get it? “ – Luke
- “I’m sure some day you’ll manage to find the right guy, and drag him out to this thing, and make him buy your stupid basket, and then you’ll be sitting out here with him.” – Luke
It you, Luke. Today is some day.
Observations & Questions:
- “I like to have a visual aide to help me with the wonderful build up I give you.” – Miss Patty; Lorelai is beloved by her Stars Hollow people. She is their honorary daughter/granddaughter.
- Okay, Dean… You really think Taylor won’t see you and Rory making out, when you are taller than the super short shelves?
- Rory is beginning to defend Jess to Dean.
- Of course Miss Patty would mail Lorelai pictures and resumes of the best single men she has selected for Lorelai. She knows this is the only way she will actually get her to consider the options.
- If I were to bid on a picnic basic, I certainly hope I would win Sookie’s. All those delectable treats!
- Jackson. Sweet fella. He was so intentional about asking Sookie if he should renew his lease. Poor Sookie. She was so oblivious.
- “You know what’s wonderful about this festival? That is always falls on the day after trash day; therefore, all the stuff you forgot to throw out, that you’d normally be stuck with for the whole week, you can, instead, put in a pretty basket and auction it for charity.” -Lorelai ‘ Her basket method is totally opposite from Sookie’s. Which would you be — Sookie — meticulously planning out every detail? Or Lorelai — throwing whatever you had in right before time to auction your basket?
- HAHA! “10 dollars” *Mrs. Kim death glare.* “Withdrawn.”
- Oooo — the beginning of Jess and Dean’s blatant competition for Rory.
- “Sold to the nice young, hoodlum in the back for $90.” hahaha Taylor never hides his disdain.
- Rory so badly wants to go with Jess on a picnic. I cannot condone her pursuing these feelings while still with Dean. I also understand she does not take risks, but somehow her feelings for Jess make her want to.
- Lorelai admits her basket contains — two stale Pop Tarts and a Slim Jim.
- Well, Caesar certainly looks different than later on in the show.
- Why on earth is Kirk looking at this BEAUTIFUL, delicious basket asking where the carrot sticks are?!
- Kirk shares that he has 12 brothers and sisters. I have so many questions — where are they now? Are they as strange as him? Is Kirk the baby? Why is Kirk the only one who lives at home?
- Poor Lane. She is losing her first real guy because she cannot move on from her fear of disappointing her mom.
- JACKSON! He tells Sookie during their picnic that they should get married. I love that scene so much.
- Dean… You really messed up my Lorelai Luke moment here. I know you are upset. I get it I get it. But PLEASE let Lorelai and Luke fall madly in love first.
- “Why are you only nice to me?” – Rory
Girl, you know why.
- Did Rory remove her bracelet subconsciously? Is it a sign that Rory is beginning to let Dean go?
- Then they go on this disguised date of pizza and book shopping (which by the way Dean always complains about how long it takes Rory to pick boosk), and Rory is still in denial.
- Hug a World on the couch! — Later it is in the garage when Rory and Lorelai are cleaning it out for Lane’s band. (Season 3. Episode 12)
- Now, Rory is defending Jess to Lorelai.
- Lorelai is beginning to bond with Emily in opening up about her concerns for Rory and Jess’ closeness. She sees a big red flag when Emily says they agree 100%. She suddenly remembers Emily tried to lock her up and make her judgement seem irrelevant when she was Rory’s age.
- Lorelai still has her reservations about Jess, but she can trust in her faith in Rory to have good judgement.
- Rory cannot wait for Lorelai to go upstairs so she can steal away into her room and call Jess!
- LA LA LA music playing. Amy wants Jess and Rory to end up together. I just know it.