Aired: January 29th, 2002
Written by: Frank Lombardi
Directed by: Steve Gomer
Special Appearance: Edward Herrmann – Richard Gilmore
Michael Winters – Taylor Doose
Sean Gunn- Kirk
Shelly Cole – Madeline
Teal Redmann – Louise Grant
Milo Ventimiglia – Jess Mariano
Jared Padalecki – Dean Forester
Liza Weil – Paris Geller
Places in this Episode:
Emily & Richard’s House
Stars Hollow Video
Summary: Emily, who is overwhelmed with Richard’s sudden presence at home, asks Lorelai to host him in Stars Hollow for a day. Lorelai and Rory try to be welcoming and loving, but begin to empathize with Emily as he criticizes all of Lorelai’s decisions and challenges Dean.
Smile in a Cup for this Episode — Always seek to understand how others might feel before monopolizing your emotions. Your slight inconveniences may make the difference in someone feeling deeply loved and known and unwanted by everyone.
Cups of Coffee in this episode: 7
References to Literature, Movies, or Pop Culture – The Judd’s, Flaubert, Churchill, and Chanel, Bewitched, Rice-A-Roni, Three Days of the Condor, Shoah, The Jerk, Costner, Bull Durham, Dances with Wolves, The Postman, Tom Petty, Ruth Gordon, Harold and Maude, Rosemary’s Baby, Taxi, Cool as Ice, Hudson Hawk, Electric Boogaloo, Lifetime, Nancy McKeon, Jo, Anita Bryant, Angela Lansbury, Frank Capra, Reese Witherspoon, Shamu, Jag, Kirk and Spock, Patricia Krenwinkle, Pat Buchanan, Jerry Falwell, Kathie Lee Gifford, Bambi, Dumbo, Babe
Noteworthy Lorelai-Luke Moments:
- Luke goes to Doose’s market to buy grapefruit, just for Lorelai to please her Dad!
Observations & Questions:
- Only Emily Gilmore would ask Lorelai about her love life in order to figure out if they need to make more spaces to bury their family!
- Haha! When Lorelai suggests they kick out Aunt Cecil in order to make room for her future husband, Emily is nodding along. “Okay it’s decided. Cecil goes.” Then Richard comes down the stairs and votes for Cecil as well.
- Do you think Paris is an enneagram 3 or 8?
- Richard’s comment on Emily’s coffee habits support my theory that Lorelai gets her coffee love from Emily.
- “I get my hair done every Wednesday at 3.” What?! Can you imagine getting your hair done weekly?
- Kirk works at Stars Hollow Video — and just like every other job he takes it WAY too seriously.
- Emily is so desperate to get Richard out of the house! She sounds like a prisoner!
- Ooo! The Harvard paraphernalia is on the bulletin board in Rory’s room. She says its been up for a couple of years, but I certainly have not seen it.
- The awkwardness between Loreali and Richard makes me so sad. My heart is so happy to see them beginning to bond.
- How many of us have tried grapefruit for breakfast after listening to Richard’s “advertisement” to Lorelai.
- Giant Slinky! Why don’t we ever get to see this?
- Luke: Rory, how much do you like this person?
Rory: Do what you gotta do, Luke.
Hahaha! I love that Jess immediately comes down and plays right into the banter with Paris. This points to the fact that he can actually keep up with Lorelai and Rory’s humor and conversations.
Luke: Rory, get her outta here!
- “The Rory Curtain” — HA! Paris jumps on this story immediately.
- I love that Richard likes Chinese food. I enjoy seeing the down to earth sides of he and Emily. Stars Hollow has the ability to draw this out of everyone.
- Rory’s books nestled in her drawers — this inspired a habit of mine to store my beloved books in drawers while I was in college.
- I immediately adore that Dean built Rory a beautiful, blue car. I am also proud of his ability to stand up to Richard. This does show how deeply he cares for Rory.
- Richard really does mean well, but he just cannot grasp that his way is not the end all be all.
- Here goes Jess, saving the day for Rory again.
- I always feel so heartbroken at the scene with Richard going home. He feels so hurt and unwanted. The line “Oh, you love Chinese food!” makes me tear up every time. He does love Chinese food, but he didn’t even get to eat it! Waaahh.