Aired: January 22nd, 2002
Written by: Linda Loiselle Guzik
Directed by: Nicole Holofcener
Emily Kuroda – Mrs. Kim
Micahel Winters – Taylor Doose
Richard Kline – Taylor Doose
Richard Kline – Miles Hahn
Jackson Douglas – Jackson Belleville
Sean Gunn – Kirk
Shelly Cole – Madeline Lynn
Teal Redmann – Louise Grant
Brian Tarantina – Bootsy
Grant Lee Phillips – Grant
Places in this Episode:
Richard and Emily’s House
Stars Hollow High
First National Bank
Summary: Kirk finds termites have damaged Lorelai and Rory’s house. Lorelai spends the episode trying to gain approval for a loan, but ends the episode by cosigning with Emily. Rory is surprised during this episode to learn that Lane is a cheerleader. Despite all the tension and conflict, all is settled and relationships are secure.
Smile in a Cup for this Episode — Never be afraid to ask for help or communicate your desires. People who truly love you will support you even when you do things differently than they would expect.
Cups of Coffee in this episode: 10
References to Literature, Movies, or Pop Culture – Ethel, Baby Gap, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Magenta, Janet, Dr. Frank-N-Furter, Nancy Drew, Purple Rain, Coyote Ugly, Fiddler on the Roof, Silkwood, The Coreys, Gone with the Wind, Robert Benchley, the Algonquin, Energizer Bunny, Tony Soprano, Clarence Thomas, The Honeymooners, Monday Night Football, Chicago Bulls, Shaq, John Waters
Noteworthy Lorelai-Luke Moments:
- Luke inspects Lorelai’s house for termite housing damage, and just nonchalantly says he will help fix her house. He offers her a loan. He is loving her by trying to step in and help her. It’s what he does.
Observations & Questions:
- What happened to Lorelai’s alarm clock? Wasn’t it fuzzy or Hello Kitty? That plain black alarm clock seems too practical for Lorelai Gilmore.
- Kirk is an exterminator now! I mean, we are only a few jobs in, but can you imagine what filing taxes must be like for Kirk?!
- Paris is smug about her PSAT scores. Is Paris typically hateful and short because she is overwhelmed with the pressure of trying to gain her parent’s love and approval? She seems genuinely happy and more “herself” when she makes a great accomplishment– which I feel like is an indication that she has done something worthy of love.
- Ahh! I need to know where Rory’s adorable pajamas are from.
- “I was thinking about opening a Coyote Ugly lemonade stand.” – Lorelai
This is the most Lorelai quote I’ve heard.
- Jackson’s pajamas — such a quality scene. I feel like similar pajamas would be such a fun Dirty Santa gift.
- “Out out out. *swats with broom* Taylor says you have termites. You are a carrier!” – Mrs. Kim She sprays Rory with the water hose hahaha
- Emily is so kind to immediately leap from the couch to write a check for Lorelai and Rory’s house to be repaired from termite damage.
“So you’d rather have your whole house fall down than let your mother help you?”
Umm.. Yep. Basically that is what is happening here.
- This is the beginning of a string of Rory going against her Mom’s wishes to ask her grandparents for help. I think Lorelai is upset because she does not want to feel like she depends on or owes her parents anything. She also probably feels nervous at Rory’s growing dependence and trust in her grandparents.
- Lane is officially a cheerleader. Neither of the girls acknowledged one another at all! Let’s think back to the episode prior to this when Lane made fun of cheerleaders. This is why Rory is later so confused and upset. She feels like she doesn’t know Lane anymore.
- I am so proud of Lane for standing her ground, though! She tells Rory that she shouldn’t have to ask her permission to do something she wants to do. Yes, girl! If Lane is a 2, she is moving towards healthiness as she is setting good boundaries and trying new things, even if others do not support it!
- Emily sips the coffee so nonchalantly when Lorelai is told that Emily has to cosign in order for her to get the loan.
- “You owe me nothing! I just want to do something nice for my daughter. That is all.” – Emily
- Lane is honestly such an adorable cheerleader.
- “I want you rest assured that I remain me. I mean, Nico-obsessed, Exene wannabe with forty Korean bibles under her bed. I just bounce a little more.” – Lane
- Here is another healing conversation between Lorelai and Emily. I’m here for it!