Aired: December 11th, 2001
Written by: Daniel Palladino
Directed by: Chris Long
Special Appearance: Edward Herrmann -Richard Gilmore
Milo Ventimiglia – Jess Mariano
Max Perlich – Rune
Liz Torres – Miss Patty
Emily Kuroda- Mrs. Kim
Sally Struthers – Babette Dell
Michael Winters – Taylor Doose
Jackson Douglas – Jackson Belleville
Sean Gunn – Kirk
Ted Rooney – Morey Dell
Brian Taratina – Bootsy
David Sutcliffe – Christopher Hayden
Scout Taylor-Compton – Clara
Places in this Episode:
Stars Hollow Square
Richard and Emily’s House
Summary: Lorelai and Sookie host the Bracebridge Dinner with horse-drawn sleighs, costumes, and accents. They invite their friends in Stars Hollow to attend and also invite Richard and Emily in an effort to cheer up Richard. Tensions continue to grow between Dean and Jess and much to Emily’s surprise– Richard shares with the whole table that he has decided to retire.
Smile in a Cup for this Episode — Try hard and scary things. You may be surprised by how much more you are fulfilled when you take a step into the unknown. (*Quietly begins singing Into the Unknown from Frozen 2*)
Cups of Coffee in this episode: 3
References to Literature, Movies, or Pop Culture – Mrs. Potato Head, Godfather III, Coppola, Sofia, Michelangelo, Ernest Builds a Snowman, Anne Heche, The Shining, Jack Nicholson, , Tammy Faye Bakker, Woody and Soon-Yi, Def Jam Comedy, Charlie Parker, Prince, Iliad, Monopoly, Stella McCaartney, Walmart, Washington Irving, The Joy-less Luck Club, Dr. Dolittle, Bjork, Architectural Digest, Chuck Mangione, Abot and Costello, I Love Lucy, Cher, Mozart
Stars Hollow Event: Stars Hollow Winter Festival Snowman Building Contest, Independence Inn Bracebridge Dinner
Produce that Sookie & Jackson are bantering about: mushrooms
Mrs. Kim advice — “This is my stuff. Don’t need any more stuff. People have too much stuff.”
Noteworthy Lorelai-Luke Moments:
- Lorelai convinces Luke to ride in the sleigh with her! Lorelai’s ‘snow music’ plays during the ride!
“I’m fine. Everything’s fine.” – Sookie
Observations & Questions:
- I forgot Rune worked at the Inn! His interaction with Michel is humorous. I’m surprised he hasn’t quit from his disdain toward Lorelai and conflict with Michel.
- Poor Jackson. Of course they would talk him into playing a role in their Bracebridge dinner. He adores Sookie.
- The Inn has a new harpist! That’s the first time I’ve noticed a harp in a while. How long has Drella been gone?
- Sookie is amazingly calm about the fire in the kitchen. Maybe it’s because she is used to clumsily setting fires herself.
- Poor Emily. She seems so patient with Richard, who is spiraling even further in his identity crisis with his job.
- I so related to Rory during conflict. I frequently point out the possibilities, and then when those get shot down, I timidly bring up the positives of the lesser fate.
- What is Kirk’s job in this episode? Is he transcribing the meeting?
- “You like peacock pie?” – Sookie
“I’m 100% I’m sure I don’t.” – Luke
Hahaha! He and Sookie have their own friendly banter too.
- “An out of control, over the top slumber party!” Yes! I love this about Stars Hollow.
- Haha! Rory and Lorelai are going through and naming the ugliest babies in the cards. This scene is hilariously authentic.
- Wow! Rory says Lorelai has 64 pairs of shoes. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised.
- Rory and Paris are continuing to grow closer together. Paris is beginning to soften, and Rory is learning how to deal with her harsh exterior.
- “Hello there. Hey Clara. Nice, is that a Stella McCartney?”
“It’s a Walmart.”
If that wasn’t me as a child I do not know what was!
- “You forgot the word for salt?” – Lorelai
“Yea! Everything is absolutely 100%!” – Sookie
Sookie becomes so frantic when in a meal crunch. Once again — Can relate, girl.
- Lorelai really is so gifted at bringing people together and creating magical moments. Can you imagine how beautiful it would be to take horse drawn carriages through snowy Stars Hollow. Swoon.
- “Giddy up. Uh! The horses heard me, I speak horse language! I’m Dr. Dolittle! “ – Lorelai
- The Secret of Parenting — You visualize the reality you want, and then if necessary you lie to bring it about.; Luke is so naive in “parenting” Jess, but how sweet that he tried to protect his heart from his Mom’s neglect.
- How fitting for Jess to hop onto the moving carriage with Rory.
- “What do you and Dean talk about?”
“Does he know Bjork?”
Jess is beginning to poke holes into Rory’s fantasy of her and Dean’s relationship. She is beginning to realize that with Jess things are easy and natural, but with Dean, it is forced.
- HA! I love that Paris is sitting beside Patty at the dinner.
- Squire Bracebridge – HAHA I laugh every time I see Jackson in this costume. He REALLY loves Sookie to do this.
- Jess could very easily pass as Luke’s son. They are both hilariously cynical.
- Paris would point out the inaccuracies of the dinner!
- Plot Twist — Richard announces to the whole dinner table that he has retired early.
- Wait — did Lorelai’s hair change? I thought it was wavy during dinner. Now it is very straight.
- I love the scene with Richard and Emily making up! She is beginning to loosen up her reigns, and he is beginning to branch out of expectations into what truly brings him joy. She knows she can trust his leading.
- Ooooo that look between Jess and Rory! … And Dean saw it. Yikes.
- Jess destroyed the snowman for Rory and Lorelai to win! I can’t condone the behavior, but you have to admit — he knows how much they would love to win and wants to give her that win!