Aired: November 27, 2001
Written by: John Stephens
Directed by: Danny Leiner
Liz Torres – Miss Patty
Emily Kuroda – Mrs. Kim
Shelly Cole – Madeline Lynn
Teal Redmann – Louise Grant
Chad Michael Murray – Tristin Dugray
Places in this Episode:
Hartford Community College
Summary: Rory and Tristan play Romeo and Juliet in a school project. After a scheduling conflict, the group has to rehearse at Miss Patty’s. Rory is forced to face the reality that Dean my find out about her kiss with Tristin while they were broken up.
Smile in a Cup for this Episode — It is best to be honest with our feelings in order to save ourselves and others from unnecessary hurt.
Cups of Coffee in this episode: 5
References to Literature, Movies, or Pop Culture – The Shining, Bringing Up Baby, Emily post, Martha Stewart, St. Peter, Shakespeare, Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet, Sonny & Cher, Chang and Eng, Butch Cassidy, Billy Graham, Pamela and Tommy Lee, The Twilight Zone, Mystic Pizza, Cocoon, No Doubt, U2, Bono, Ab Fab, The River Wild, Meryl Streep, Kevin Bacon, Madonna, Powerpuff Girls, Bar Mitzvah, Doogie Howser, Jerry Lee Lewis
Noteworthy Lorelai-Luke Moments:
- Luke looks so upset when he hears that Lorelai went on a date.
- Luke’s banter about the age of Lorelai’s date haha! The age momentarily gives him hope that it will not last, but then he questions why she doesn’t think of him that way.
- “Hey are you good at dating?” – Lorelai
I love this scene. Lorelai opens up to Luke and tries to communicate in her way that she and Luke will always be there for one another. He doesn’t even let her finish asking if she has him in her life before he blurts out “you do”.
- AHHHH HIS GRIN.
Observations & Questions:
- Poor Lorelai. She must be heartbroken to see this gift for she and Max. She would usually jump at the chance of a free gift, but it is too difficult for her to picture how things could have been.
- Paris is so hateful hahaha… but I love her lines. Their casting is perfect.
- Tristin says he is joining Rory and Paris’ group because it doesn’t have any of his ex girlfriends, but does he not mind that he kissed Rory and took Paris out on a date?
- Rory is a real one for helping Lane speak to her secret boy, Henry. Did anyone else talk on three way calls with their friends growing up?
- “One year and you know all you need to know? Tomorrow, we look into private school.“ – Mrs. Kim LOL
- Brad refers to Paris as ma’am! I do not blame him, honestly.
- “How are you at speaking in front of people?” – Rory
“ I tend to throw up.” – Brad
Me too, Brad. Me too.
- “May Destiny’s Child break up if I count these blueberries.” This was such an interesting scene. Why does Michel count his blueberries?
- Eww Tristin is so rude to Dean.”You must mean that young boy who got strangled by a Doose’s Market apron one night.” Yes, Dean. We wouldn’t even be mad.
- Oh no. poor Lorelai. LOL Paul and Luke interacting is golden. Rory finds it all so humorous. Most children would be mortified, but Rory can’t stop laughing. This speaks to their “best friend” relationship.
- Dean is so creepily standing by the door. I appreciate that he is protective of Rory, but I also feel like he is mainly motivated by his jealousy and competition with Tristin.
- Of course Kirk snapped pictures of Lorelai and Paul.
- “Lorelai, I hear you’re dating a kid.” – Bootsy
- Hey… does Bootsy eat at Luke’s even though they have a standing conflict, and who is running his stand?
- Tristin says he is pulled out of school to go to military school in North Carolina! Is this when he was going to be on Dawson’s Creek or One Tree Hill?
- They did such a great job capturing the scene with Dean standing in the background between Rory and Tristin.
“For God knows what reason? Come on, Lorelai. Don’t you understand that Luke is so into you? He has had to watch you go from one guy to another. And then the engagement. And then the engagement was off. And patiently he’s waited, and now in walks this kid and he says, ‘my gosh. Will she date anyone in the world before she’ll date me?’” – Sookie
Yes! Finally she is speaking truth to Lorelai.