Aired: October 16, 2001
Written by: Daniel Palladino
Directed by: Gail Mancuso
Liz Torres – Miss Patty
Michael Winters – Taylor Doose
Sally Struthers – Babette Dell
Sean Gunn – Kirk Gleason
Ted Rooney – Morey Dell
Linda Porter – Fran Westin
Scott Cohen – Max Medina
David Sutcliffe – Christopher Hayden
Places in this Episode:
Stars Hollow Square
Summary: Lorelai celebrates her upcoming marriage by allowing Max to stay at the Gilmore House and a bachelorette party. Much to her surprise, she has many reservations of Max moving in and becoming a part of her life. After hearing Emily share her story of eagerly anticipating her wedding, Lorelai decides to run away with Rory on a road trip the weekend of her wedding.
Smile in a Cup for this Episode — Sometimes it’s better to run away from situations which you know are not right, even if it means disappointing the expectations that you or others might have. All will grow and ultimately be better for it.
Cups of Coffee in this episode: 5
References to Literature, Movies, or Pop Culture – N’Sync, Holy Grain, Billy Jack, Electra Woman and Dyna Girl, Hitler, Schnicklefritz, Joan Crawford, Tony Manero, Shirly Temple, Richard Burton, Elizabeth Taylore, Mike Tood, Bono, Brian Ferry, Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, Beatles, Alanis Morissette, Dave Matthews, Enya, Yogi Berra, Yogi Bear, Janet Jackson, Celine Dion, Yoko, John Lennon
Stars Hollow Event – Revealing the Traffic Light and Crosswalk
Noteworthy Lorelai-Luke Moments:
- Luke threatened the girls that he might run out of blueberry pancakes, but then he lays their pancakes aside anyway.
- He made Lorelai a chuppah!!! Precious man. This was such a selfless, loving act.
- “I guess he doesn’t mow… I’ll mow it.” – Luke … I mean, ladies, doesn’t this make your heart sing?
“I feel like crap on toast.” – Michele
“We’re almost there and nowhere near it. All that matters is that we’re going.” – Lorelai
Observations & Questions
- “Is it right to be sampling wedding cakes when Sookie is making yours for free?” – Rory
This is such typical Lorelai logic — let’s get all of the free samples and fun out of this that we can!
- Kirk is a photographer now! Lorelai bought him for lunch and the cost of film.
- What is this comic book shirt that Lorelai is wearing? Sometimes she’s got it and other times I question her choices.
- Fun Fact — The quote “We have buried the putrid corpse of liberty” was used on Daniel and Amy Palladino’s wedding invitations.
- Everyone is shocked when Max says he needs to wait to order at Luke’s. All those neck snaps and stilled breathing.
- Taylor vs. Luke — putting up a traffic light outside of Luke’s Diner. The scenes where these two argue always make me giggle.
- Dean gives Max the inside scoop to the Gilmore girls. Whether I want Dean to be Rory’s boyfriend or not, I must admit he knows the girls well. “You have much knowledge” -Max
- Red Flag — Lorelai is hesitant for Max to play a role in raising Rory. It must be difficult for Max to feel like he is just being plopped into her life, with no place in Stars Hollow and the Gilmore House.
- Michele invited Emily to Lorelai’s bachelorette party! Ha! I actually love that she’s there.
- Emily’s story about she and Richard before the wedding is precious.
- I secretly love and hate when Chrisopher answers the phone at Lorelai’s Bachelorette Party. It makes sense that she would call him– he must be the only person, thus far, whom Lorelai has been giddy picturing herself married to.
- “You need to think about someone other than yourself a few times a day.” -Max
“Ouch” – Lorelai
For real. That was very harsh, Max.
- Rory is beginning to pick up on Lorelai’s hesitations about the wedding.
- Foreshadowing with Lorelai and Luke standing under the chuppah!
- Rory is such a supportive, loving daughter. She asks the necessary questions and then goes along with the spontaneous trip out of town.