Aired: April 26, 2001
Written by: John Stephens, Linda Loiselle Guzik
Directed by: Perry Lang
Emily Kuroda – Mrs. Kim
Jackson Douglas – Jackson Belleville
Lisa Ann Hadley – Rachel
Sean Gunn – Kirk Gleason
Max Perlich – Rune
Places in this Episode:
Richard and Emily’s House
Black, White, and Read Bookstore
Summary: Emily visits Rory to shop for antiques and tour Stars Hollow. She shocked and saddened by the shed that Lorelai turned into a home for she and Rory in the beginning of Rory’s life. In true Emily fashion, she heads home and immediately begins planning the perfect room for Rory at her house. During the tour, Lorelai getss to know Rachel on a deeper level. After knowing Rachel’s feelings toward Luke, Lorelai encourages Luke to trust Rachel and not feel scared.
Smile in a Cup for this Episode — Do not let fear keep you from pursuing your dreams or enjoying the gifts in your life. Fear is crippling and distorts reality.
Cups of Coffee in this episode: 6
References to Literature, Movies, or Pop Culture — Hansel and Gretel, The Lost Weekend, Yoko, Boo Radley (To Kill a Mockingbird), Grapes of Wrath, Charlie’s Angels, Williams Sister, Matthew Washington, Working Girl, Joy Division, Nick Cave, Robert Smith, Johnny Cash, San Quentin, ‘N Sync, 98 Degrees, Backstreet Boys, Vulcans, Nomadic People, Pinocchio, Prince, CosmoGirl, Hello Kitty
Noteworthy Lorelai-Luke Moments:
- The picture Rachel took at the Stars Hollow festival — foreshadowing. 🙂
- Luke awkwardly compliments Loerlai’s eyes.
- Luke and Lorelai discuss Rachel leaving or staying. He gets defensive that she is “pushing” Rachel on him. The tension is soooo thick when Lorelai suggests that there is another reason for him to not want Rachel to stay. You. You are the reason! Then the way he watches her walk off!!! Come on, guys.
- Lorelai can’t stop thinking about/talking about Rachel and Luke.
- Lorelai looks so sad and the La la la music plays when Luke and Rachel are behind the counter at Luke’s Diner.
Observations & Questions:
- Emily is secretly screaming with delight that Rory invited her to spend time with her in Stars Hollow. I have always loved quality time with my grandparents, so Rory’s invitation makes me happy.
- Is this the first time the girls have had non-solid colored, coffee cups at Luke’s?
- How is Rachel’s hair so pretty and curly?!
- Yay! The DragonFly Inn is mentioned here. Lorelai’s inn dream is beginning to sprout.
- I do not understand how Michel is capable of holding his job. He never wants to interact with the guests haha!
- Sookie really did try to stop Jackson. He was oblivious. Lorelai is such a kind friend to let Rune have a job at the Inn.
- We find out that Rory and Lorelai first lived in the potting shed at the inn.
- How did Emily’s heels stick in the mud if they were that thick?
- The Charlie’s Angels plates! Did anyone else have collection plates? Our themed plates were from the McDonald’s Disney collection.
- Mrs. Kim and Emily bartering is so good. I think we need more interactions between them!
- “I’ll on be pushed so far.” -Rune
“And obviously its down.” – Michele
Hahaha Michel’s humor is so dry, and I am here for it.
- Emily looked so hurt and overwhelmed at seeing the potter’s shed where the girls used to live.
- Does the bathroom flip to the other end of Luke’s apartment in future episodes? I am remembering that as a wall that Luke tears down to expand for Jess to have his own space.
- Luke has fish pictures and fish mounted all over the place. I wonder if these are his or if his dad was also into fishing.
- It must be painfully difficult for Lorelai to try and talk Rachel into staying.
- Rory says her favorite color is blue and her favorite flowers are sunflowers.
- Why does Luke need so many pickle jars? How often does he use the whole pickles? Wouldn’t it make more sense for him to have jars of sliced pickles or pickle chips for his burgers?
- I love that Lorelai heckles Kirk for his phone ringing.
- The posters Emily hung in Rory’s room are nice and classy — framed with fancy, gold frames.
- Lorelai makes an off-handed comment to tell Emily not to buy Rory a car, but in later episodes, they do in fact buy her a car.
- Emily cannot reconcile Lorelai and Rory living in the shed rather than staying with she and Richard. I can sympathize with her, but I also understand Lorelai’s desire to be independent.
- Lorelai so badly wants to please Emily.
- Do the table lamps only come out at night time? How are they powered?
- It’s sweet to see Lorelai, Sookie, and Rory dreaming up the Dragonfly Inn.