Aired: January 11th, 2001
Written by: Joan Binder Weiss
Directed by: David Petrarca
Special Appearance: Edward Herrmann – Richard
Liza Weil – Paris
Ann Gillespie – Mrs. Geller
Chad Michael Murray – Tristan Dugray
Real Redmann – Louise
Shelly Cole – Madeline
Scott Cohen – Max Medina
Jackson Douglas – Jackson
Places in this Episode:
Stars Hollow Square
Max Medina’s home
Richard and Emily’s House
Coffee Shop with Max
Summary: Lorelai and Max continue getting closer, but she pumps the breaks when Rory begins calling him Max and suggesting they invite him along on their adventures. Lorelai attempts to avoid Max, but has to confront her fear at Parent’s Day.
Smile in a Cup for this Episode — Do not let your fear prevent you from the best things in your life. He has given us treasures of Himself to unearth in our everyday lives. We miss those little joys of Him when we are blinded and paralyzed by fear.
Cups of Coffee in this episode: 3
References to Literature, Movies, or Pop Culture — This Old House, Proust, Swann’s Way, Emily Dickinson, Marilyn Monroe, Arthur Miller, Norman Bates, Psycho, Nancy Kerrigan, Tonya Harding, Ricky Martin, Homer, Shakespeare, Walt Whitman
Jackson and Sookie Veggie argument — Jackson wants Sookie to use a Zucchini hybrid instead of squash blossoms
Noteworthy Lorelai-Luke Moments:
- Luke is wearing the blue hat! 🙂
- He offers to clean and tighten Lorelai’s skate blades.
“I really really like you Max Medina.” – Lorelai
“I really really like you Lorelai Gilmore.” – Max
Observations & Questions:
- Everytime Max and Lorelai try to have coffee, kissing ruins it!
- Emily is so smug bringing up Parent’s Day. She loves to prove that she knows more about Chilton. I think its her way of feeling needed.
- “Blue disco sequin bag” — epitome of Lorelai’s style
- “It’s 8:00! Who shows up for an 8:00 date at 8:00?! Everybody knows 8:00 means 8:28.” – Poor Max listening to Lorelai and Rory panicking about his punctuality. He must have felt so awkward. Here is yet another example of how he does not truly know her well yet.
- Lorelai and Sookie are drinking tea! I am so curious as to what kind of tea they are drinking.
- This Lorelai outfit is a little too bizarre for me. I usually love her style, but I am not here for the fuzzy lining and pom poms.
- Sookie holds back nothing. She is always about laying it all out. We all need at least one friend who is open and honest with us– without fear of offending.
- How often do you clean out your refrigerator? Lorelai and Rory look like they have not cleaned theirs out in … a long time. What are your refrigerator cleaning routines?
- This is the first time we learn more about Paris’ life and what influences her harsh facade.
- Lorelai is fearful of being hurt and tries pulling away to protect herself.
- Y’all. HOW COULD YOU KISS AT CHILTON?! What did you expect to happen?
- Paris is so harsh and unfeeling in spreading the news about Lorelai and Max kissing at Chilton. This is before her character begins developing and showing a softer side.
- Emily is terrifying when she is angry like this. “This, my girl, is not a mistake!”
- Paris and Rory have a bonding moment during their argument.
- Yay! Sookie asks Jackson to go to dinner! Love it so much.
- Rory is so tender comforting Lorelai.