Aired: October 12th, 2000
Written by: Amy Sherman-Palladino
Directed by: Arlene Sanford
Special Appearance: Edward Herrmann –Richard
Liz Torres — Mrs. Patti
Nick Chinlund – Ian Jack AKA Creepy Chilton Dad
Liza Weil – Paris
Alex Borstein — Drella, the Inn’s harpist
Dakin Matthews — Hanlin Charleston
John Billingsley — Mr. Remmy
Chad Michael Murray – Tristan Dugray
Places in this Episode:
Stars Hollow Street
Summary: Despite Lorelai waking up late and having nothing clean to wear, Rory makes it to Chilton to meet Headmaster Charleston. One student, named Paris, particularly takes an interest in Rory and tries to intimidate her into believing she is the top dog of Chilton. Rory then proceeds to accidentally ruin Paris’ project and earn the nickname Mary due to her innocent nature. While Rory is adjusting to her first day at Chilton, Lorelai faces her own stress at the Independence Inn. The Gilmore girls end this episode walking down the main street in Stars Hollow sharing about their days and joking about tomorrow.
Smile in a Cup for this Episode — When you feel overwhelmed with difficult circumstances or new changes, the constant ones (and the constant One) in our lives lead us back to a place of rest, security, and hope for the future.
Cups of Coffee in this episode: 6
References to Literature, Movies, or Pop Culture — Hunchback of Notre Dame, Daisy Duke, XTC – Apple Venus Vol. 2, Oprah, Rosie O’ Donnell, Dixie Chicks, Tolstoy, Charles Dickens, Martin Luther, The Shining, and Harry Potter
Noteworthy Lorelai-Luke Moments:
- Luke asks a few times to clarify she is not going on the date with Creepy Chilton Dad and then says it’s good that she is not. He then tries to cover by saying “He is probably old.” Ha!
- When Lorelai and Rory look into Luke’s and Lorelai asks Rory what she thinks of him. Although Rory is being a real downer, Lorelai is giddy and covering up that she thinks he is “cute”. Also, how precious that Luke steps out and watches them walk down the street together.
“I need coffee in an IV” – Lorelai
Observations & Questions:
- Where is this porch couch in future episodes?
- The Gilmore House is such a late 90s/ early 2000s house with those lace curtains and wallpaper. I think we may have had those exact same curtains growing up.
- I seriously empathized with Rory. She must have been so overwhelmed at beginning a new school and to leave late with her Mom wearing inappropriate clothing. I mean, did Lorelai really try that hard there? Don’t she and Rory share clothes often? And did she really have to grab the cowboy boots to top off the look? To the writers, I can appreciate how Lorelia-ish this was, though.
- Enter Creepy Chilton Dad — This man was so cringey. “Is your husband here?” Please, sir. This poor girl is just trying to get to her first day at Chilton. Goodbye.
- The iconic yellow backpack has appeared! That was quick. Was this a new purchase for Chilton?
- Madeline, Louise, and Paris are already setting their eyes on Rory. Per usual, Madeline seems confused, Paris is irate, and Louise is curious and humors herself at Paris’ discomfort.
- The “la la la” melody from Sam Phillips is back as Rory and Lorelai walk into Chilton for the first time!
- Emily’s hair is more “Emily” here, and is it longer? Of course she is rocking Chilton blue on this momentous day.
- We learn Rory’s goal is to go to Harvard and become a journalist like Christiane Amanpour.
- Y’all – I have NEVER related to a character more than Lorelai carrying all of her dry cleaning, coat, and coffee into the house. My girl was so real in that moment — She kicked open the car door, had her jacket draped around her head, and her coffee tucked under her chin. She practically throws her things down once inside.
- Jackson and Sookie bickering about the peaches had me cracking up. Like when she got down on the floor and started rolling them…
- I also laughed loudly at Michele sassing that poor sweet, elderly lady. “Excuse me sir, Can you tell me where we can find the best antiques?” “At your house, I guess.”
- I love Lorelai’s lipstick shade!
- If I were Rory, I would have cried on the spot if I knocked over Paris’ project. But also, who is going to clean up that mess? Why did they just leave it in the hallway?!
- Why does Paris not just tell her teacher what happened? I mean, she could seriously just go see the MESS STILL IN THE HALLWAY.
- We are introduced to Kirk– but his name is Mick. What in the world? We will count that as his first job, though. DSL internet serviceman.
- I love that Lorelai just waltzes into Emily’s salon and tells her off for trying to intervene with Rory. Doesn’t Emily act clueless about the internet later on, though? (In the season when Digger sets it up for Richard)
- Is Lane not allowed to wear scrunchies? Why does she have to remove her cute, pink scrunchy when going home? I totally understand the FOXY hoodie (LOL), but the scrunchy?